Samantha E. Holbrook
Samantha E. Holbrook, a partner at Shub & Johns LLC, has extensive experience in consumer protection class action litigation. Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Holbrook practiced at two different national class action law firms where she represented consumers and investors in nationwide class actions. Ms. Holbrook has experience handling and litigating all aspects of the prosecution of national class action litigation asserting claims under state and federal law challenging predatory lending practices, product defects, breach of fiduciary duty, antitrust claims, consumer fraud and unfair and deceptive acts and practices in federal courts throughout the country.
Over the course of her career, Ms. Holbrook has provided substantial assistance in the prosecution of the following cases:
- Suarez v. Nissan North America, No. 3:21-cv-00393 (M.D. Tenn.) (appointed lead class counsel in a consumer class action alleging defective headlamps in Nissan Altima vehicles which reached a settlement valued at over $50 million that provides reimbursements, free repairs, and an extended warranty);
- Kostka v. Dickey’s Barbecue Restaurants, Inc., No. 3:20-cv-03424-K (N.D. Tex.) (appointed as additional interim class counsel on behalf of consumers whose sensitive payment card information was exposed in a data breach at Dickey’s restaurant chains);
- In re Wawa, Inc. Data Security Litig., No. 2:19-cv-06019-GEKP (E.D. Pa.) (achieved $12 million settlement on behalf of consumers whose sensitive payment card information was exposed to criminals as part of a highly-publicized data breach);
- Lacher et al v. Aramark Corp., 2:19-cv-00687 (E.D. Pa. 2019) (represented a class of Aramark’s current and former managers alleging that Aramark breached its employment contracts by failing to pay bonuses and restricted stock unit compensation to managers nationwide);
- Turner v. Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC, No. 4:21-cv-02454-DMR (N.D. Cal.) (class action lawsuit alleging that Sony’s PlayStation 5 DualSense Controller suffers from a “drift defect” that results in character or gameplay moving on the screen without user command or manual operation of the controller thereby compromising its core functionality);
- Board of Trustees of the AFTRA Retirement Fund, et al. v. JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A.,09-CV-686 (SAS), 2012 WL 2064907 (S.D.N.Y. June 7, 2012) (approving $150 million settlement); and
- In re 2008 Fannie Mae ERISA Litigation, Case No. 09-cv-1350 (S.D.N.Y.) ($9 million settlement on behalf of participants in the Federal National Mortgage Association Employee Stock Ownership Plan).
Ms. Holbrook has also obtained favorable recoveries on behalf of multiple nationwide classes of borrowers whose insurance was force-placed by their mortgage services.
Ms. Holbrook received her law degree from Temple University Beasley School of Law. While in law school, she served as the President of the Moot Court Honor Society and President of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund. She was also a member of Temple’s nationally recognized Trial Team. Upon graduating, she served as an adjunct professor for Temple coaching its Trial Team from 2013-2018. Ms. Holbrook received her undergraduate degrees from the Pennsylvania State University in Political Science and Spanish. While in college, Ms. Holbrook spent a semester studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain. She is proficient in Spanish. Ms. Holbrook also currently serves as the Board President for Citizens for a No-Kill Philadelphia, a Philadelphia-based animal welfare advocacy organization, and serves on the Board of Directors of City of Elderly Love, a senior-focused animal rescue organization.
Ms. Holbrook is admitted in the following districts and venues:
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- New Jersey
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- District of New Jersey
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Western District of Pennsylvania
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Third Circuit Court of Appeals
Memberships and AssociationsMs. Holbrook has been recognized as:
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers Rising Star: 2020-2023
- Top Young Rising Attorney in Pennsylvania: 2020
- Pennsylvania & Delaware Top Attorneys Rising Stars: 2021