Jonathan Shub is the founder of Shub Law Firm LLC. He is recognized as one of the nation’s leading class action consumer rights lawyers, based on his vast experience and successes representing classes of individuals and businesses in a vast array of matters involving unlawful conduct. He has gained notable attention in the area of defective consumer electronics and computer hardware as a result of many leadership positions in federal and state cases against companies such as Hewlett-Packard, Maytag, IBM and Palm. In fact, Maximum PC Magazine, a leading industry publication, said years back that “Shub is becoming renowned for orchestrating suits that have simultaneously benefited consumers and exposed buggy hardware.” He also has vast experience in mass tort class actions such as Vioxx, light tobacco litigation, and in consumer class actions such as energy deregulation. He is currently heavily involved in litigation on behalf of businesses that were denied insurance coverage involving COVID-19.
Jon launched his career in the Washington office of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, where he worked on complex commercial matters including corporate investigations and securities litigation. He then moved into a practice of consumer protection and advocacy. Prior to joining Kohn, Swift & Graf, P.C., Jonathan was the resident partner in the Philadelphia office of Seeger Weiss LLP. He is a frequent lecturer on cutting edge class action issues, and is a past chairman of the Class Action Litigation Group of the American Association for Justice. Jon regularly appears in state and federal courts nationwide, and in many high profile consumer protection cases. Jon’s leadership roles require him to develop the theories of liability for the entire class as well as the overall trial strategy for the cases. Most recently, Jon was co-lead and co-trial counsel in a case against municipality for violation of a state privacy law. The trial resulted in a jury award of approximately $68,000,000 to the Class.
Jon’s experience in class action litigation includes the following leadership positions:
- Serves as lead counsel in New York against KIWI Energy LLC for deceptive advertising of residential energy practices.
- Served as co-lead counsel in Illinois against Direct Energy for deceptive advertising of residential energy practices.
- Served as co-lead counsel in Pennsylvania against PG&E for deceptive advertising of residential energy practices.
- Served as co-lead counsel in settled national litigation against CPG International for deceptive advertising in connections with deceptive advertising of AZEK-branded decking products.
- Served as executive committee counsel in settled national litigation against Western Union for deceptive practices in connection with money transfers.
- Served as co-lead counsel in litigation against Facebook for deceptive advertising practices.
- Served as co-lead counsel in a national class action against Palm involving defective smart phones.
- Served as co-lead counsel in a national class action against Nissan for defective tires on its 350Z model.
- Served as co-lead counsel in a national class action against Hewlett Packard claiming defects in certain printer models.
- Served as co-lead counsel in litigation against Vonage for consumer fraud.
- Served as co-lead counsel in litigation against Maytag, where he was instrumental in negotiating a $42.5 million nationwide settlement for a class of more than 200,000 Maytag customers.
- Served as co-lead counsel in a nationwide class settlement against IBM that affected more than 3 million hard drive purchasers.
- Delaware Law School of Widener University (now Widener University School of Law), cum laude, 1988 (Law Review Articles Editor)
- American University (Washington, D.C.), B.A., 1983
- District of Columbia; New York; Pennsylvania; California; and New Jersey
- United States District Courts of the
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Central District of California
- Northern District of California
- Southern District of New York
Memberships and Associations
- American Association of Justice (past chairman of class action litigation section)
- American Bar Association
- Consumer Attorneys of California
Honors and Awards
- SuperLawyer, Pennsylvania (2005 -2009) (2011-2019)
- Wolcott Fellow Law Clerk to the Hon. Joseph T. Walsh, Delaware Supreme Court, 1988
Publications and Presentations
- Moderator & Course Developer, Harris Martin Conference, “Emerging Trends in CBD Litigation.” June, 2020
- Speaker, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, “Business Interruption Insurance and COVID-19.” July, 2020
- Moderator, Class Actions, Annual Meetings of American Association of Justice, 2015, 2016
- Speaker, “Finding the Right Class Action”, New Jersey Association of Justice, June, 2016
- Speaker, “Nuts and Bolts of MDL Practice”, Class Action Symposium, Chicago Illinois, June, 2010
- Speaker, “Computer Technology and Consumer Products Class Actions”, Consumer Attorneys of California 46th Annual Convention, November, 2007
- Frequent speaker, American Association for Justice (formerly ATLA)
- Author, “Distinguishing Individual from Derivative Claims in the Context of Battles for Corporate Control”, 13 Del. J. Corp. L. 579 (1998)
- Author,”Shareholder Rights Plans? Do They Render Shareholders Defenseless Against Their Own Management”, 12 Del. J. Corp. L. 991 (1997)
- Co-author, “Once Again, the Court Fails to Rein in RICO”, Legal Times (April 27, 1992)
- Co-author, “Failed One-Share, One Vote Rule Let SEC Intrude in Boardroom”, National Law Journal (October 8, 1990).
- Jon is active in his local synagogue and is a political fundraiser.